Thursday

A Sweet Escape






"We are just going to Ottawa," I'd say with a shrug of my shoulders and a mildly impressed facial expression as if just going to Ottawa was nothing to get excited about.


In my defense, when someone asked me if we had travel plans this winter I knew what they were really asking. They were really asking if we were going south, and I really wanted to say yes to Jamaica or Mexico or Cuba. I love a seven day vacation on the sand drinking bottomless cocktails and smoking cigars with strangers - long story - but with him on a new diet that I feel would be nearly impossible to follow at a resort and me being insanely paranoid of mosquitoes, going south this year didn't make sense.


Instead we just went to Ottawa. We only saw the Montreal Canadiens beat the Ottawa Senators in a shootout and went to two incredible concerts. We had a car and an apartment to ourselves, did some outlet shopping and ate our way around the city. We attended Mass at the Notre Dame Cathedral because we just so happened to be in the right place at the right time while playing tourist early on Sunday morning, and we drove to Quebec to spend an entire day at Nordik Spa. We even spent an afternoon in bed watching Netflix because apparently we don't do that enough back at home.


We had an amazing time.


So I was wrong. Okay? I admit it. You don't have to escape winter to escape the winter blues. I sounded like a spoiled brat saying 'just' and shrugging my shoulders and making that face. We're lucky to be able to travel at all, and I'm not proud that I underestimated how much fun we could have in our very own country. The truth is, it's the simplest things that make me happy and as long as he is by my side, any escape is a sweet escape.



Rachel Emmilee
XO


2 comments:

  1. loving the sound of the Nordic spa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was so incredible I have to write about the entire experience in a separate post. I think it belongs on every spa-lover's bucket list!

      Delete

I hate to request word verification - but I'm over spam comments like I'm over Kim Kardashian.