This time of year is my favorite. As summer slowly turns into fall, I become so inspired. I make it my mission to settle into the new season with lots of things to do while enjoying the comfort of my home. We have to use our imagination around here because as the warm weather goes away, so does our social life. This is when I like to dive head first into scrapbooking, meal planning, reading, writing and of course, an exciting new television series or five.
Like everyone else, I like to fall into fall with a few goals in mind...
I absolutely love the switch from quick and easy meals, to meals that are hearty and comforting. Goodbye BBQ hot dogs and cold salads, hello soups, chowders and pasta!
- Visit the Farmers market for vegetables to pickle, make applesauce and jelly with our own apples.
- Make a meal from my oriental cook book and eat the entire thing with chop sticks.
- Learn the tricks of my food processor, use it often.
- Buy a new cutting board.
- Visit Liquid Gold and stock up on infused cooking oils and balsamic vinegar.
- Use our dining room more often.
I've always wanted to know how to create my own clothing, scarves and quilts from a piece of fabric. I want to follow a pattern and finish with a product I would actually wear.
- Buy a new sewing machine.
- Collect fabric and sewing supplies.
- Find someone willing to teach me a few tricks.
- Pin sewing patterns and blogs.
- Wear my creations.
Although I love finding a good show to watch every night of the week, I don't want to get sucked into every hot TV series going. I'd like to spend more time reading.
- Find a magazine that touches on all of my interests, subscribe to it.
- Exchange must-reads with someone.
- Browse the shelves of Chapters and leave with a big bag of books.
I'd like to play my guitar again, which means dusting it off and picking up where I left off...
- Spend evenings following YouTube tutorials.
- Create a songbook.
- Learn a song from start to finish.
Other goals include sending and receiving mail, making handmade Christmas gifts, visiting craft fairs, going on a hike and planning a week away. If I can achieve all of these goals by the end of winter, I'll be a very happy gal. Stay tuned for updates!