Skip to main content

Falling Into Fall



The sun is shining on this fabulous Saturday morning, but it's no beach day. I have spent my morning under a quilt, sipping on coffee and watching Breaking Bad with G. We had a lovely little breakfast and I've been browsing through a Pinterest board that is polluted with fall inspired crafts, outfits, recipes and decor. I love, love, love it.

This time of year is my favorite. As summer slowly turns into fall, I become so inspired. I make it my mission to settle into the new season with lots of things to do while enjoying the comfort of my home. We have to use our imagination around here because as the warm weather goes away, so does our social life. This is when I like to dive head first into scrapbooking, meal planning, reading, writing and of course, an exciting new television series or five.

Like everyone else, I like to fall into fall with a few goals in mind...

I absolutely love the switch from quick and easy meals, to meals that are hearty and comforting. Goodbye BBQ hot dogs and cold salads, hello soups, chowders and pasta! 
  • Visit the Farmers market for vegetables to pickle, make applesauce and jelly with our own apples.
  • Make a meal from my oriental cook book and eat the entire thing with chop sticks.
  • Learn the tricks of my food processor, use it often.
  • Buy a new cutting board.
  • Visit Liquid Gold and stock up on infused cooking oils and balsamic vinegar.
  • Use our dining room more often.
I've always wanted to know how to create my own clothing, scarves and quilts from a piece of fabric. I want to follow a pattern and finish with a product I would actually wear.
  • Buy a new sewing machine.
  • Collect fabric and sewing supplies.
  • Find someone willing to teach me a few tricks.
  • Pin sewing patterns and blogs.
  • Wear my creations.
Although I love finding a good show to watch every night of the week, I don't want to get sucked into every hot TV series going. I'd like to spend more time reading.
  • Find a magazine that touches on all of my interests, subscribe to it.
  • Exchange must-reads with someone.
  • Browse the shelves of Chapters and leave with a big bag of books.
I'd like to play my guitar again, which means dusting it off and picking up where I left off...
  • Spend evenings following YouTube tutorials.
  • Create a songbook.
  • Learn a song from start to finish.
Other goals include sending and receiving mail, making handmade Christmas gifts, visiting craft fairs, going on a hike and planning a week away. If I can achieve all of these goals by the end of winter, I'll be a very happy gal. Stay tuned for updates!


Rachel Emmilee
XO


Comments

  1. I love these goals! If you're looking for a must-read book, I am almost done The Light Between Oceans and it's really good. If you do make the trek to Liquid Gold, make sure to try the maple balsamic (so good on waffles or pancakes!) But the whole store is a win. Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these goals! And it makes me want to make my own list, because I have had a to-do list in my head for a few weeks now. Fall turning into Winter may be the perfect excuse for a deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so ready for fall! We have a crock pot that's just begging to be used. I can't wait to cook some hearty soups and stews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! What a great list! I've been so busy lately with my little one that I often forget my favorite time of the year is here. I can't wait to do all the cozy things as well ;) xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hate to request word verification - but I'm over spam comments like I'm over Kim Kardashian.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Written In Stone.

I visited her grave yesterday for the first time in a long time. It was August 8th, her Birthday, and I had spent the entire day thinking about her and working up the courage to pay her a little visit. It's hard for me to go there, but I knew it would be a good place to be alone with my thoughts and a safe place to talk out loud.

Standing over her grave, I thought about all the things we would have in common if she was still here. Her being twenty-three and me twenty-six, I know we'd be the best of friends - no different than before. I thought about how she would celebrate her big day and knew it would start with Eggo Waffles soaked in syrup while she watched A Baby Story, A Wedding Story and then What Not To Wear. She would have come up to our pool or gone down to the beach where she'd sit with her favorite book, a bag of Munchies and a cold can of Nestea. She'd be listening to her favorite music in her van and dreading any kind of party Mom was planning because she h…

Mornings. The Struggle Is Real.

He wakes up before his alarm clock and instantly rises to his feet. He doesn't wait for the alarm just so he can hit the snooze button three times, or stretch, rub his eyes or take a few minutes to process that it is now morning. He jumps out of bed. No matter how little sleep he had he appears rested, energized and ready to tackle the day. He lets OB out for a pee, throws the lazy dog back into our bed and hops in the shower. He makes a trip downstairs to freshen his clothes in the dryer and comes back upstairs to iron his outfit. He may pack himself a lunch, make a cup of coffee, and may even sit in front of the television with a bowl of cereal.


Me? 



For the life of me I have tried to rise and shine, but I just can't. I have even set the alarm on my tablet to wake me with a motivational message. Good morning, Rachel. It's a new day! Get up, make coffee, exercise! I have prepared a lunch the night before, gone to bed early, set out clothes, pre-set the coffee pot to brew…

Our Kitchen Makeover - Before & After

What I am about to say, I say with great certainty. If you and your spouse can get through a major home renovation project, you can get through just about anything.


Back in early November we set out to create the kitchen of our dreams. I had pinned enough ideas to design ten kitchens combined, all the materials were purchased, the job was quoted and within our budget, and finally all the more important home projects were behind us. This took having to accept that insulating our basement and installing an energy efficient heating system was more important than new cabinets and more counter space - which wasn't particularly easy for me. 


The goal was bigger and brighter. The original kitchen had only one tight corner you could work on, a low hanging microwave and one sink. It consisted of thirty year old hardwood floors that were scuffed and damaged by water among other spills, oak cabinets that aged to an unpleasant shade of yellow, warped laminate counter-top with a dated wood de…