Sh*t To Do By Next Summer



Source Unknown


I've always been the type of person who struggles to live in the moment without planning the next move. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am a true Gemini. Whether it's wondering what color to paint the garage while I try to relax beside the pool, or thinking of ways I can extend the deck instead of enjoying it for what it is, or visualizing how beautiful next years gardens will be instead of managing the gardens I have right now - I am always planning my next project. It's not necessarily a good thing. With me, watching a beautiful sunset over the mountain from our front porch rocking chair wouldn't be complete without a very convincing pitch to cut down a few trees for an even better view.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, either. I'm not lazy, I set goals, I don't mind getting my hands dirty and there are worse things I could be spending my time and money on, that's for sure. But this summer isn't even over and I'm already thinking of next summer and all that I could have accomplished if I make a list and set my mind to it. 

How many times do you catch yourself sitting around thinking I'm sure there's something else I could be doing right now yet your mind is blank? Well, having a list of short and long term goals is all you need to make better use of your time and money. This list may seem like a bit much, but I've got all year to get shit done.


So, here goes...


Create a fire pit. We've cleared an area near the pool so all we need to do is remove some roots, level the ground and fill it with whatever necessary to keep the weeds away. I think we can all agree that a fire pit is a summer must, so this project is high up on our priority list for next year.



Paint garage. We spend a lot of time out by the pool therefor I spend a lot of time cringing over the eye sore that is our garage. Only two sides are seen so only two sides need painting which will make the job a bit easier. I'll take a leftover piece of siding from the house, color match and plan a weekend around getting this done once and for all. 


Paint wooden table, chairs and glider. These wood pieces are all in great shape but desperately need a fresh coat of paint. All I need to do is set up a work station in our basement and I'll have the perfect project for cold winter nights when there isn't much to do.


Install outdoor lights on house. This is a job for hubby. We have all ten lights, we just need to install them before it's too cold to be outside without gloves.


Buy new patio furniture, hammocks and pool toys when they go on sale. Not exactly a project, but definitely a big expense. Buying patio furniture nowadays is like refurnishing your family room, have you noticed? Adding this to my list will remind me where I should spend a few bucks this year to save big next year. We have a lot of outdoor sitting areas that are being neglected because we simply don't have the patio furniture, so if we take advantage of off-season sales we can fix that problem and finally enjoy our outdoors to it's full potential.


Cut and trim. This summer I noticed way too many plants, bushes and trees that are overgrown and obstructing our pathways and our beautiful view. I'm asking Santa Claus for a hedge trimmer this year, mark my words. Before next summer, we should have everything cut back or cut out - and something must be done ahead of time to prevent the weed takeover that we're experiencing this year.  

Create a hammock haven and tea garden.  We have a beautiful shaded area that I'm dying to turn into a tea garden and hammock haven. We just need to level the ground and either lay some flat rock or build a small platform deck. With a table and chairs, a few hammocks and some solar lights it would make the cutest little hiding spot.


Work on the little extras for the tea garden. I'd like to make a sign, some DIY bird-feeders, paint some flat rock and a buy a step stool to reach my clothesline from that end. I'd also like to sew some new cushion covers. These little projects can be worked on inside all winter. 


Extend the front porch step to meet the side deck. This project isn't as extreme as it may sound, but it would take having to do some extra budgeting and hiring a carpenter. It's not a must, but if done eventually, it would really improve the look of our existing deck, add a few feet of sitting room on our front porch and it would hide a big section of our front lawn that we hate to look at.


Stain decks. Thankfully I have a lot of time to mentally prepare myself for this grueling project because it will have to wait until the snow melts. 


Clear property of fallen trees.  Nothing bothers me more than looking at all of the fallen trees around our property knowing I can't just pick them up and move them myself. This will be a bit of a tall order as it will also require some extra hands and maybe even some machinery. The bonus? It could pay off in firewood for the winter.




Comments