Hello, June!




I went for lunch all by myself yesterday. For the first time in twenty-nine years and three hundred and sixty days I chose to ignore the urge to invite a friend along or ask my husband if he had time to meet me. I took a table for one and sat far enough away from other folks that making conversation was not expected of me. It was nicer than I thought it would be, actually. I didn't realize it was something I wanted to do before I turned thirty until I was there doing it - sitting in a restaurant all alone. I didn't have to eat slow and careful so not to be caught with a mouthful of food at the wrong time and there were no awkward silences to fill with small talk in between bites. I didn't even care that I had food in my teeth when the waitress came to check on me. 



I opened my day planner to welcome June, my favorite month. Almost every square was covered in ink; exclamation points, doodles of hearts and balloons and stickers to brighten up the page. I turn thirty, two of my best friends also turn thirty and my sister-in-law and bestie turns twenty-nine. My niece turns ten, my new nephew is due to enter the world and my parents celebrate thirty-one years married. There's a heart drawn on the day Garett asked me to marry him and several hearts drawn on June 30, the date that marks five incredible years as husband and wife. This month also marks ten years out of college. Where did the time go?


There will be no shortages of parties, dinner dates or fun in the sun. There's even a staff BBQ and a weekend in Halifax penciled in, and you best believe I'll be taking myself out for lunch again... June brings with it so many reasons to celebrate. It will be the greatest kick off to summer 2017 and an even better start to my thirties...


Rachel Emmilee
XO

Comments