Skip to main content

There's No Place Like Home








As we waited for the shuttle to pick us up for the airport, my legs hung over our luggage in fatigue. To my right my husband let out a sigh of relief and said...

 "Well, it's time to get back to relaxation." 

I looked at him and all I could muster up was a very tired laugh. I couldn't wait.


The shuttle we were waiting for would begin our journey home.


Eight years ago I never would have imagined my life as it is today, even if I tried. Anxious to get away from people, traffic, fast food and noise? No way! I was a city girl and no dream job offer was going to change that. I mean, sure my heart was in Cape Breton but back then I was certain my future was not. I'll never forget the night G told me he was going to accept a job back home when I selfishly cried and told him to go without me, sure that we'd break up before I would ever take such a big step in the wrong direction. We had just bought a house in the city, I had a job I thought I loved and together we had a social life and a gym membership and places to go and people to see and BIG dreams. We had things to do on the weekends, we had restaurants we loved and nearby cafés that made seasonal lattes and the best scones you could imagine. There were bustling markets I loved to walk through on Saturday and places to go dressed up. I'd miss Hot Yoga... Or, at least knowing I could do Hot Yoga if I wanted to... Like that one time.


Which brings me to today - a big move, the purchase of our second home, and the loss of two very important family members later. Gone are those eight years and gone is my desire to ever again live on a paved road.

A lot of things have changed since the day I thought moving home would be the worst thing in the world. I have changed. I've learned that happiness isn't defined by what you have or where you live, it's how you choose to live. Everything I could ever want or need is here. A job I love, my family so close that I can stop and visit anytime I wish and a dirt road to run on that doesn't require a membership. The best part? The rabbits and squirrels don't judge my running clothes. At home, no one knows what time we arrived or how long we were gone - it's just us. It's not the bustling neighborhood with families polluting the streets, picket fences and bike lanes like we once lived in and certainly not the pricey condo with modern chic décor I once dreamed of - but it's much, much more. It's where the tea is always on, the art on the wall matches our souls more than our sofa, and where friends gather around our kitchen table to eat and drink and laugh and sing.  It's where in or out, there will always be work to do - the kind of hard work that makes your muscles sore and leaves you bursting with pride at the end of the day. It's where there will always be a smell of a home cooked meal in the air and a breeze coming through the window. It's where there is always a project on our coffee table, a stack of notes and pictures for the scrapbook or an opened book taking up a seat on the couch. Our home is where we cuddle up and shut the world out, where we be ourselves and do things that make us happy.

 
I never thought I would feel this way, but nothing brings me greater joy than turning left down the bumpy road to home after a trip away. Even if getting there after an amazing vacation means being faced with a pile of leftover scrap wood that needs to go to the dump, a few trees that fell, tire marks on the grass and the overwhelming realization that we have A LOT of work to do... 
...It will all get done, and we'll be so happy to do it.


Rachel Emmilee

XO


Comments

  1. love this, its how I feel when I drive home to our little community too. Theres nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact I love this post so much I have returned to it 4 times since to read it. In all my anxiety over work right now I needed this little reality check to remind me of what I too love about this life in NS, the reasons we moved here and what's really important.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hate to request word verification - but I'm over spam comments like I'm over Kim Kardashian.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Written In Stone.

I visited her grave yesterday for the first time in a long time. It was August 8th, her Birthday, and I had spent the entire day thinking about her and working up the courage to pay her a little visit. It's hard for me to go there, but I knew it would be a good place to be alone with my thoughts and a safe place to talk out loud.

Standing over her grave, I thought about all the things we would have in common if she was still here. Her being twenty-three and me twenty-six, I know we'd be the best of friends - no different than before. I thought about how she would celebrate her big day and knew it would start with Eggo Waffles soaked in syrup while she watched A Baby Story, A Wedding Story and then What Not To Wear. She would have come up to our pool or gone down to the beach where she'd sit with her favorite book, a bag of Munchies and a cold can of Nestea. She'd be listening to her favorite music in her van and dreading any kind of party Mom was planning because she h…

Mornings. The Struggle Is Real.

He wakes up before his alarm clock and instantly rises to his feet. He doesn't wait for the alarm just so he can hit the snooze button three times, or stretch, rub his eyes or take a few minutes to process that it is now morning. He jumps out of bed. No matter how little sleep he had he appears rested, energized and ready to tackle the day. He lets OB out for a pee, throws the lazy dog back into our bed and hops in the shower. He makes a trip downstairs to freshen his clothes in the dryer and comes back upstairs to iron his outfit. He may pack himself a lunch, make a cup of coffee, and may even sit in front of the television with a bowl of cereal.


Me? 



For the life of me I have tried to rise and shine, but I just can't. I have even set the alarm on my tablet to wake me with a motivational message. Good morning, Rachel. It's a new day! Get up, make coffee, exercise! I have prepared a lunch the night before, gone to bed early, set out clothes, pre-set the coffee pot to brew…

Our Kitchen Makeover - Before & After

What I am about to say, I say with great certainty. If you and your spouse can get through a major home renovation project, you can get through just about anything.


Back in early November we set out to create the kitchen of our dreams. I had pinned enough ideas to design ten kitchens combined, all the materials were purchased, the job was quoted and within our budget, and finally all the more important home projects were behind us. This took having to accept that insulating our basement and installing an energy efficient heating system was more important than new cabinets and more counter space - which wasn't particularly easy for me. 


The goal was bigger and brighter. The original kitchen had only one tight corner you could work on, a low hanging microwave and one sink. It consisted of thirty year old hardwood floors that were scuffed and damaged by water among other spills, oak cabinets that aged to an unpleasant shade of yellow, warped laminate counter-top with a dated wood de…