Thursday

Learn To Run

This happened.

Today, I had my alarm set for 5:45am and when it went off I was up and in my running clothes within minutes. I had a bag packed so I could shower at work and everything in place to leave the house by 6:15am. This is a big deal, you guys.
I met a group of runners who lead a program on the mornings of Monday, Wednesday and Friday to help beginners like me train for a Gathering Week 5K. Let it be known that anyone who has started and completed this program has stuck with running and credits it for their running success. It's now or never for me, really. I've been going to the gym, exercising at home, busting out squats on the regular - and even just last week I ran for forty-five minutes on the treadmill, ten and one. But, outside pounding the pavement and fighting the elements is a different story. Ten minutes of straight running outside is not happening, hence, the need to join a group to train properly.

With this program I will gradually build the strength and endurance to run long distances and maybe, just maybe I'll tick 'run a marathon' off my bucket list after all.

Day one, done!



Learn to Run Program


Week One
M-W-F  5 minute warm up walk. Run 1 minute, walk 2 minutes X 7. Cool down, 5 minute walk.
Week Two
M-W-F 5 minute warm up walk. Run 2 minutes, walk 1.5 minutes X 6. Cool down, 5minute walk.
Week Three
M-W-F 5 minute warm up walk.  Run 3 minutes, walk 1.5 minutes X 5. Cool down, 5 minute walk.
Week Four
M-W-F 5 minute warm up walk. Run 4 minutes, walk 1.5 minutes X 5. Cool down, 5 minute walk.
Week Five
M-W-F 5 minute warm up walk. Run 5 minutes, walk 1.5 minutes X 5. Cool down, 5 minute walk.
Week Six
M-W-F 5 minute warm up walk. Run 6 minutes, walk 1.5 minutes X 4. Cool down, 5 minute walk.
Week Seven
M-W-F 5 minute warm up walk. Run 7 minutes, walk 1  minute X 4. Cool down, 5 minute walk.
Week Eight
M-W-F 5 minute warm up walk. Run 8 minutes, walk 1 minute X 4. Cool down, 5 minute walk.
Week Nine
M-W-F 5 minute warm up walk. Run 9 minutes, walk 1 minute X 4. Cool down, 5 minute walk.
Week Ten
M-W-F 5 minute warm up walk. Run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute X 4-5. Cool down, 5 minute walk. 

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! So nice to get it done early in the day too!

    ReplyDelete

I hate to request word verification - but I'm over spam comments like I'm over Kim Kardashian.