Skip to main content

Personal Goals From Lists Gone By

 
 
 



I have set many personal goals for myself over the years; lots that are kept private and are a constant work in progress, and others that have been made public on this blog. For me, telling people I'm setting out to do something helps motivate me to do it. I guess it holds me accountable, and if anything, the thought of inspiring others is fun too. I can't say I've read every book I set out to read or tried every recipe I've pinned, and I'm yet to run a marathon or even properly train for one - but hey, I shoot for the stars and there's no wrong in that.


Let's recap...
 
 
  • In this post I take myself up on a Reading Challenge. It's a tall order, but I've stuck with it. I'm hopeful by the end of the year I will have read an impressive number of books and blow your socks off with a hefty book review. So far? Not nearly enough reads under my belt to brag about, but summer is coming (at least I hope) and I can bang off beach reads like no one else can.

  • From this list so far I've managed to fight the urge to cut my hair (although I don't know how much longer I can do it) and I've followed a few YouTube tutorials to make cute braids. I've used my stand mixer quite a bit to make homemade dinner rolls and other baked goodies, and Pizza on Friday nights has been a thing. Also from this list, I've been drinking more water than I ever have before and I'm more apt to treat myself, even if it's something as simple as a spruced up Bloody Mary for an at home brunch or a new hand lotion for my purse. Lastly, *yawn* I saw the Dentist.

  • In this post I was beyond motivated to eat healthier and work harder to be physically fit. I can't say I've been the healthiest eater, but I am definitely more conscious of what I put in my body and more aware of how it makes me feel. I am happy to report my treadmill is getting some use and I'm coming a long way with my at home workouts. Am I 100% committed? No, but I'm on the right track and just reading these goals again and remembering where my head was then makes me want to work harder.

  • Lastly, from this long list I have done very little, but it's okay, I'm still happy and healthy. I never miss my yearly check up, I've got my eye on my money, I don't do drugs or go tanning and I absolutely love my home. As for the rest, meh.

  
It wasn't a personal goal but starting and finishing our kitchen renovation was a big deal this winter. I am beyond proud of my husband and I for working so hard (and working together) to see the job through. It consumed a lot of our time and energy and many times we questioned why we ever started such a job, but we came out on top. To look back at the drawing board of ideas and see that it has all come together is extremely rewarding. With that behind us, I can focus a little more on myself and tackle the things I've missed from my lists gone by. After all, it's about damn time I try Sushi.
 
 
Rachel Emmilee
 
XO

Comments

  1. I just started this year with setting personal goals. My goal this year was to pay off my credit cards which i let get way out of control. It's April and i've paid off my medical credit card and I'm almost finished paying off my Visa ♥

    http://thekissofjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally the same with goals, if other people know about it then it makes me want to fully accomplish them :)

    Reading is defo on my list, I keep putting it off though sadly >.< What books are on your beach reads?

    Ellen :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hate to request word verification - but I'm over spam comments like I'm over Kim Kardashian.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Written In Stone.

I visited her grave yesterday for the first time in a long time. It was August 8th, her Birthday, and I had spent the entire day thinking about her and working up the courage to pay her a little visit. It's hard for me to go there, but I knew it would be a good place to be alone with my thoughts and a safe place to talk out loud.

Standing over her grave, I thought about all the things we would have in common if she was still here. Her being twenty-three and me twenty-six, I know we'd be the best of friends - no different than before. I thought about how she would celebrate her big day and knew it would start with Eggo Waffles soaked in syrup while she watched A Baby Story, A Wedding Story and then What Not To Wear. She would have come up to our pool or gone down to the beach where she'd sit with her favorite book, a bag of Munchies and a cold can of Nestea. She'd be listening to her favorite music in her van and dreading any kind of party Mom was planning because she h…

Mornings. The Struggle Is Real.

He wakes up before his alarm clock and instantly rises to his feet. He doesn't wait for the alarm just so he can hit the snooze button three times, or stretch, rub his eyes or take a few minutes to process that it is now morning. He jumps out of bed. No matter how little sleep he had he appears rested, energized and ready to tackle the day. He lets OB out for a pee, throws the lazy dog back into our bed and hops in the shower. He makes a trip downstairs to freshen his clothes in the dryer and comes back upstairs to iron his outfit. He may pack himself a lunch, make a cup of coffee, and may even sit in front of the television with a bowl of cereal.


Me? 



For the life of me I have tried to rise and shine, but I just can't. I have even set the alarm on my tablet to wake me with a motivational message. Good morning, Rachel. It's a new day! Get up, make coffee, exercise! I have prepared a lunch the night before, gone to bed early, set out clothes, pre-set the coffee pot to brew…

Our Kitchen Makeover - Before & After

What I am about to say, I say with great certainty. If you and your spouse can get through a major home renovation project, you can get through just about anything.


Back in early November we set out to create the kitchen of our dreams. I had pinned enough ideas to design ten kitchens combined, all the materials were purchased, the job was quoted and within our budget, and finally all the more important home projects were behind us. This took having to accept that insulating our basement and installing an energy efficient heating system was more important than new cabinets and more counter space - which wasn't particularly easy for me. 


The goal was bigger and brighter. The original kitchen had only one tight corner you could work on, a low hanging microwave and one sink. It consisted of thirty year old hardwood floors that were scuffed and damaged by water among other spills, oak cabinets that aged to an unpleasant shade of yellow, warped laminate counter-top with a dated wood de…