Skip to main content



Around this time of year, many of our friends and family come from away to take in the beauty and excitement our little town has to offer. They are home for a limited time, so the pressure is on to see everyone and spend quality time with them. I dare say, the rush is on. Our community festival has come and gone and for seven straight days there was never a dull moment. But festival or not, this time of year is when our Tuesday nights are just as exciting as a Saturday, when Keith's Light are our main source of hydration and when there's no such thing as dinner for two. This is when our only time spent at home is when we're scrambling to prepare for company, scrambling to get out the door again, or falling into bed after a long night out.
 
It's all good, right? I can't complain, or at least I shouldn't. I love meeting my friends on the beach and having reasons to dress up and get out of the house. After all, it was a long cold winter here on Cape Breton and I can recall crying for days when the sun would shine and we'd have lots to do, and two or three episodes of Big Brother waiting for a rainy day.

Well, that time has finally come and I have to admit it's hard to keep up. Between juggling places to be and people to see, late nights and early mornings, I neglect some things that are really important. I neglect myself, I skimp on sleep, I choose wine over water and eat more junk food than real, wholesome food. I mean, if I eat another hamburger, hotdog or sausage I may turn into one. Too many times I've silenced the little voice inside my head that begged me to stay in, and I've gone out only to yawn in everyone's face and watch the clock for a good time to leave. I wake up tired with no energy to tackle the day or to put my best food forward at work, because yes, of course I still have to work. And finally, we come home to mow the lawn, pull weeds, water flowers and tidy the the deck furniture but fail to sit down and enjoy the view...
 
On Sunday, after a whirlwind of a week, we drew the curtains and blocked out the sun. We were worn out, sunburnt and dehydrated. We binged-watched Netflix in bed and took a break only to make homemade pancakes and go for a swim. I napped twice throughout the afternoon, and by 7:30pm I was out for the night. I realized at this rate, summer will be over and I'll be struggling to remember what we had done. How many meaningful conversations did I have without a thumping bass in the background? How many moments did I sink into my lawn chair and cherish my surroundings? How many books did I read? How often did I enjoy some alone time to write? So from now on, I have to slow down and re-evaluate what is important to me this summer. I  have a bucket list to tackle, and time is running out...

Rachel Emmilee
XO

Comments

  1. good for you! I have a similiar problem. I had BIG plans to go to the beach alot, just to sit, watch and listen to the ocean and enjoy the sound of my children playing. So far I have been only once

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hate to request word verification - but I'm over spam comments like I'm over Kim Kardashian.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Written In Stone.

I visited her grave yesterday for the first time in a long time. It was August 8th, her Birthday, and I had spent the entire day thinking about her and working up the courage to pay her a little visit. It's hard for me to go there, but I knew it would be a good place to be alone with my thoughts and a safe place to talk out loud.

Standing over her grave, I thought about all the things we would have in common if she was still here. Her being twenty-three and me twenty-six, I know we'd be the best of friends - no different than before. I thought about how she would celebrate her big day and knew it would start with Eggo Waffles soaked in syrup while she watched A Baby Story, A Wedding Story and then What Not To Wear. She would have come up to our pool or gone down to the beach where she'd sit with her favorite book, a bag of Munchies and a cold can of Nestea. She'd be listening to her favorite music in her van and dreading any kind of party Mom was planning because she h…

Mornings. The Struggle Is Real.

He wakes up before his alarm clock and instantly rises to his feet. He doesn't wait for the alarm just so he can hit the snooze button three times, or stretch, rub his eyes or take a few minutes to process that it is now morning. He jumps out of bed. No matter how little sleep he had he appears rested, energized and ready to tackle the day. He lets OB out for a pee, throws the lazy dog back into our bed and hops in the shower. He makes a trip downstairs to freshen his clothes in the dryer and comes back upstairs to iron his outfit. He may pack himself a lunch, make a cup of coffee, and may even sit in front of the television with a bowl of cereal.


Me? 



For the life of me I have tried to rise and shine, but I just can't. I have even set the alarm on my tablet to wake me with a motivational message. Good morning, Rachel. It's a new day! Get up, make coffee, exercise! I have prepared a lunch the night before, gone to bed early, set out clothes, pre-set the coffee pot to brew…

Our Kitchen Makeover - Before & After

What I am about to say, I say with great certainty. If you and your spouse can get through a major home renovation project, you can get through just about anything.


Back in early November we set out to create the kitchen of our dreams. I had pinned enough ideas to design ten kitchens combined, all the materials were purchased, the job was quoted and within our budget, and finally all the more important home projects were behind us. This took having to accept that insulating our basement and installing an energy efficient heating system was more important than new cabinets and more counter space - which wasn't particularly easy for me. 


The goal was bigger and brighter. The original kitchen had only one tight corner you could work on, a low hanging microwave and one sink. It consisted of thirty year old hardwood floors that were scuffed and damaged by water among other spills, oak cabinets that aged to an unpleasant shade of yellow, warped laminate counter-top with a dated wood de…