Skip to main content

Friday & Saturday & Superbowl Sunday

We were off to Halifax with Mom, Dad and Sister. We've only been looking forward to this night since November, so you can imagine we were super excited. Blue Rodeo was hitting the stage at 8pm! Everyone packed into our vehicle which made the four hour drive very entertaining... My sister and her frequent pee breaks, my Dad and his claustrophobia, my Mom's incessant need to blast the music to drown out conversation...

Once in the city, we ran a few errands before checking into the hotel, with the most important errand being a visit to the NSLC. In our room, we got comfortable with a  stiff shot of whisky and some tunes to get us in the mood for a night on the town!

The concert was amazing. We bounced in our seats during the first set and made it to the stage for the second, dancing and singing and making awkward yet sexual eye contact with Jim Cuddy. For a moment I forgot there were thousands of people behind us and believed they were performing for me and only me. They never fail to blow me away. It was so much fun I'm actually sad it's over.

The night ended with the cab driver taking the guys to the Casino for some late night poker action, and us gals keeping to the hotel. There is nothing quite like the relief you feel when you remove your heels after a night of dancing, but 2am pizza comes pretty close.

Our headaches weren't so bad that we'd miss out on a delicious breakfast at Tempo on Barrington Street. Tempo Benny with a hot cup of Starbucks was a great start to the day. A Costco haul was on the agenda, as was a run into the Superstore to stock up on Super Bowl Sunday treats. I'll even admit to a drive-by Koolaid and Pretzel purchase from Cineplex for the ride home. It's a thing we like to do. 

Finally home, we crawled in bed and watched The Prisoners. If you haven't seen this movie yet, I suggest you hurry up and get on that. It was so suspenseful, the hair on my arms stood up the whole time. A little warning, if you're a parent watching this movie, you just may go through your television with rage.

Ah yes, Super Bowl Sunday. I always look forward to this day. It was off to a good start as we had gotten up early, enjoyed our coffee and tidied up in preparation for G friends to arrive. I made a large amount of homemade Mac N' Cheese, dips and other munchies and before we knew it there was six hand game of Poker happening in our dining room. It wasn't long after that we were entertaining twelve friends with two very loud televisions and a huge spread of food.

I finally sat down to enjoy the party with my friends and just as I refused a glass of wine on account of work tomorrow, I felt a sudden wave of heat. Then chills... Then a sudden pain in my stomach... I had to excuse myself from the party to go upstairs and... I'll let you guess what happens next... Eventually ending up under my duvet shaking like a leaf trying shake a chill. G delivered some water and a Gravol, and I quickly accepted that I was down for the count. Every twenty minutes was my pace for a whole two hours, so needless to say the party went on without me. It wasn't fun, but it sure made Super Bowl Sunday '14 unforgettable.

How was your weekend?

Rachel Emmilee


  1. Minus the end of your weekend it sounds like a great time! Hope you're feeling better!


Post a Comment

I hate to request word verification - but I'm over spam comments like I'm over Kim Kardashian.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Written In Stone.

I visited her grave yesterday for the first time in a long time. It was August 8th, her Birthday, and I had spent the entire day thinking about her and working up the courage to pay her a little visit. It's hard for me to go there, but I knew it would be a good place to be alone with my thoughts and a safe place to talk out loud.

Standing over her grave, I thought about all the things we would have in common if she was still here. Her being twenty-three and me twenty-six, I know we'd be the best of friends - no different than before. I thought about how she would celebrate her big day and knew it would start with Eggo Waffles soaked in syrup while she watched A Baby Story, A Wedding Story and then What Not To Wear. She would have come up to our pool or gone down to the beach where she'd sit with her favorite book, a bag of Munchies and a cold can of Nestea. She'd be listening to her favorite music in her van and dreading any kind of party Mom was planning because she h…

Mornings. The Struggle Is Real.

He wakes up before his alarm clock and instantly rises to his feet. He doesn't wait for the alarm just so he can hit the snooze button three times, or stretch, rub his eyes or take a few minutes to process that it is now morning. He jumps out of bed. No matter how little sleep he had he appears rested, energized and ready to tackle the day. He lets OB out for a pee, throws the lazy dog back into our bed and hops in the shower. He makes a trip downstairs to freshen his clothes in the dryer and comes back upstairs to iron his outfit. He may pack himself a lunch, make a cup of coffee, and may even sit in front of the television with a bowl of cereal.


For the life of me I have tried to rise and shine, but I just can't. I have even set the alarm on my tablet to wake me with a motivational message. Good morning, Rachel. It's a new day! Get up, make coffee, exercise! I have prepared a lunch the night before, gone to bed early, set out clothes, pre-set the coffee pot to brew…

Our Kitchen Makeover - Before & After

What I am about to say, I say with great certainty. If you and your spouse can get through a major home renovation project, you can get through just about anything.

Back in early November we set out to create the kitchen of our dreams. I had pinned enough ideas to design ten kitchens combined, all the materials were purchased, the job was quoted and within our budget, and finally all the more important home projects were behind us. This took having to accept that insulating our basement and installing an energy efficient heating system was more important than new cabinets and more counter space - which wasn't particularly easy for me. 

The goal was bigger and brighter. The original kitchen had only one tight corner you could work on, a low hanging microwave and one sink. It consisted of thirty year old hardwood floors that were scuffed and damaged by water among other spills, oak cabinets that aged to an unpleasant shade of yellow, warped laminate counter-top with a dated wood de…