Monday

On making friends in the Blogosphere...

I have been a long time follower of several lifestyle Blogs for, well, a long time.  I follow Blogs. I read peoples lives as they live it. I am always waiting for the next update so I can catch up with them, just as I would normal real life friends. For all of you non-Bloggers out there, it's not as weird as it sounds. Finding a writer you want to follow is just like meeting someone in person and planning to meet again. You meet for the first time click on their link, you gather your first impression when they introduce themselves you read their About Me, you determine whether or not you will spend time with that person again follow their Blog. If you like what you see or read, a friendship is born!

After following someone from single to married, through divorce, pregnancies, babies, adoption, loss and career changes it's only natural to feel invested as a friend and a support for that person. I look forward to coffee dates with "real life" friends just like I do curling up with the computer to catch up with online friends. Friends are friends, right?

Don't be so sure. Just like in real life, with online friends can be tricky and even dangerous because you never really know the truth. I feel that because I am honest in my writing and in what I share, that everyone else is honest too. What's wrong with having faith in people? I just can't believe that someone would put effort into building a fake life and making other people believe their lies. Unfortunately, it happens all the time.

Below is a YouTube link to an MTV show called CATFISH. You have to watch this. This show investigates romantic relationships that are built, and have remained online for years. These people invest all sorts of emotions, including love, and consider themselves romantically involved and committed to people they met online. When Nev's investigations show that most of these relationships are built on lies... Well, see for yourself. It's not cool.



Friends, I assure you that I am exactly who you think I am. There really isn't much to me, I'm just a gal who likes to write about her simple life in a tiny town and how she makes it exciting. It may not always be exciting, but at least I'm not feeding you BS. I hope you are all real too, you know who you are... The rest of you can take a hike!


Rachel Emmilee
XO



15 comments:

  1. Me too. Sometimes I think that my life is too boring to blog about but boring is better than not boring sometimes.

    I always feel that the blogs I read where people show their perfect homes, perfectly groomed kids or perfect outfits are more boring and probably fake ! Keep on blogging the real you and I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. the internet can be soooo creepy:-) I haven't seen the MTV show yet, BUT I'm assuming it's a spinoff of that docu-movie "Catfish." One of the creepiest things I've ever watched!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I don't even like to use the internet to job hunt because I'm scared I'll end up in some random abandoned warehouse somewhere! I haven't even heard of that show! Is it like the movie? I think that my biggest issue sometimes with peoples blogs isn't necessarily that they become completely different people (although, seriously, that's creepy!) but that sometimes bloggers tend to sugar coat things to the point where I feel like they paint this beautiful, flawless picture of their life and people read it and strive to have that same beautiful perfect flawless life that doesn't really exist. I love a good, honest blog that is positive and realistic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is always one of my biggest fears... I had this happen to me.. and it was someone who I did NOT want in my life (who I knew in real life) pretending to be a blog friend to get more and more information out of me.. it has me terrified to blog much anymore.. which SUCKS..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the docu-movie "Catfish" was so whacky. I can't help but wonder why people not only feel that they need to make shit up, but completely lie about their lives. Seriously! Imagine how great their lives could be if they put that much effort into actually living their life and truly caring about the people in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Offcourse blogging is a medium through which you actually come across many like minded people and for me its wheter real or virtual blogger friends means the same. Life would have been different if i were not a blogger. I like the fact that you update your blogs too frequently ...thats a good sign Rach!! God bless and stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogging is a great platform for meeting new people and my sisters and I love when we can actually meet some of our blog friends in person. If you're a blogger, more than likely you can find a blogger meet-up in your city. It's nice to put a face to a blog.
    It's kind of scary how some people are just posing as something they're not and for what reason I don't know.
    We love your blog because you are honest and share your personal life with your readers. Thanks for sharing your life and experience with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always feel like I come off way cooler than I am... My life does seem slightly more glamorous viewed through the lens of the interwebs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The movie Catfish was SUPER creepy and weird. I'm definitely careful what I post and who I share things with. You never know, right? (ps you should hook your email up to your blogger profile so I (& others) can comment back through email when you leave us a comment! I always go to answer you back and then see the "no-reply blogger" :p)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I *think* the way to do it is to go to your blogger dashboard. In the top right hand corner, it should say your name with a little drop down arrow. Click on "blogger profile" then "edit profile" and then click on "show my email address". That should do it! I think.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know if you follow my blog Rachel, but I really enjoy reading yours. I, like you, am one of those honest people that take people at face value. Maybe I am gullible, maybe not. Maybe ignorance is bliss. I don't know. I have a couple of "online friends" that I have known for years. I trust them. I'd like to think that the phoneys would be easy to spot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen that show yet but been wanting to! They filmed in my home town and shot at my favorite coffee shop! I need to catch up

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard of this show but never watched. I read this post and watches the latest episode right away. I couldn't believe that people do this. It's heart breaking. But I'm like you, I post very honest things about my life. I am not ashamed, it is who I am and I want to share it. And your are so right on how we make blogger friends. I never really thought about it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That makes me sad! The type of people who resort to online relationships are ones who I can imagine being devistated when they find out it's fake (the rest of us would say- duh!)

    I heard of some parents blogging about their sick selves or their sick child to get attention- later on to be exposed. So sad. I try to keep my friends names and my job anonymous on my blog for those specific reasons.

    Thanks for being real! It's always nice to catch up with your blog (like I am right now lol). Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My boyfriend and I are obsessed with this show (although he'd never admit it). I watched the movie when it came out, and I'm so happy it's a show now. I can't believe that some of these people are A) clueless and B) never show remorse for manipulating someone and hurting their feelings. It's unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete

I hate to request word verification - but I'm over spam comments like I'm over Kim Kardashian.