Skip to main content

Makeup, Manicures & Hair... Oh my!


A weekend in the city, spending time with the Diva in me.




Lipstick, where have you been all my life? This is coming from a girl who put concealer on her lips for years... Rewind to my Wedding day... Not only did I fall in love with G again, but I fell in love with lipstick too. At 25 years of age I bought and wore lipstick for the FIRST TIME EVER... My friend Katy who I swear is a makeup guru, taught me the ins and outs of products and encouraged me play up my lips with some long lasting tricks. We lined and filled them with a nude liner, used a nude lipstick and sealed it with gloss. My lips were full and kissable all day long and since then I can't get enough lip product.

Baby Lips by Maybelline is on the rise. It's very popular amongst my friends and other Bloggers and has great reviews, so go get your lips hands on some Baby Lips people! Light and smooth, just enough gloss without being runny or sticky. It's moisturizing properties keep your lips juicy and very kissable. The smell is lovely, there are so many colors and flavors to pick from and the packaging is a treat for the eye. This is the first tube of lip product that I haven't misplaced in the first month of using it, that has to mean something!
 


I met a wonderful stylist who washed out the drab, dated blonde that my hair was fading into and brought it back to life with a fresh new style. She matched my roots to my ends so finally after years and years of artificial color I can say goodbye blonde and hello au naturale!

I did some shopping, over indulged in Starbucks seasonal lattes and got my nails done. Long nails; something I have always loved and appreciate now more than ever. For five long, Diva-less years as a full time RMT I had to cut my nails down to the skin. I couldn't very well massage people with claws, could I?

Sunday we returned home to the country. Red lips, pretty nails, new hair and no where to go. My hair went up in a knot, my hands in a bucket of hot water and pine-sol, the heels came off and the Uggs went on. Our streets aren't made for high heels, red lips get the wrong kind of attention and for every fancy outfit there has to be a special occasion. In our neck of the woods... literally... the Diva in me wouldn't last a day...

... I guess it's good to know she's there when I need her.



How do you pamper the Diva in you?

Rachel Emmilee
XO



Comments

  1. Sounds like you had fun in the city letting your Diva out :) And at least you have a fresh new colour and style now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was GREAT! Many more Hali trips to come in the near future, with Xmas around the corner! Lots of time for my Diva to shine!

      Delete
  2. That sounds awesome. I spend 90% of my time either being extremely casual (jeans and a t-shirt or pajamas) or in my work clothes, so this sounds like something I need to do for myself as well.

    Also, thanks for the tip on the lipstick. I need to get some and I will look out for that brand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just have to treat yourself, pamper yourself and live outside the box. Being "girly" isn't unusual for me, I love makeup, hair and nails on the regular... It's just that, where I live, it's easy to slip into a routine of wearing joggers and your hair tied back. Blah!

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. haha I totally know how you feel. Sometimes you really have to bring out your diva even if it doesn't make sense in your public surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love wearing red lipstick! You should try Mac's Viva Glam I. It's amaze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip! I'll try it! I need something that doesn't stain... I go from wanting a bright red lip to wanting a nude lip too often to worry about pinked stained lips...:)

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh so pretty. I am much much much better off with pinks or berrys. My skin tone makes red lipstick look a bit strange I think, though maybe that's just my comfort zone.

    I swear a massage and a shopping trip = instant diva boost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you feel more strange than you look, I find red lipstick is just so out there that you feel like you're sticking out like a sore thumb in crowds. I wore super red lips to a cousins Wedding recently and I could tell it was really catching catching peoples attention.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I hate to request word verification - but I'm over spam comments like I'm over Kim Kardashian.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Written In Stone.

I visited her grave yesterday for the first time in a long time. It was August 8th, her Birthday, and I had spent the entire day thinking about her and working up the courage to pay her a little visit. It's hard for me to go there, but I knew it would be a good place to be alone with my thoughts and a safe place to talk out loud.

Standing over her grave, I thought about all the things we would have in common if she was still here. Her being twenty-three and me twenty-six, I know we'd be the best of friends - no different than before. I thought about how she would celebrate her big day and knew it would start with Eggo Waffles soaked in syrup while she watched A Baby Story, A Wedding Story and then What Not To Wear. She would have come up to our pool or gone down to the beach where she'd sit with her favorite book, a bag of Munchies and a cold can of Nestea. She'd be listening to her favorite music in her van and dreading any kind of party Mom was planning because she h…

Mornings. The Struggle Is Real.

He wakes up before his alarm clock and instantly rises to his feet. He doesn't wait for the alarm just so he can hit the snooze button three times, or stretch, rub his eyes or take a few minutes to process that it is now morning. He jumps out of bed. No matter how little sleep he had he appears rested, energized and ready to tackle the day. He lets OB out for a pee, throws the lazy dog back into our bed and hops in the shower. He makes a trip downstairs to freshen his clothes in the dryer and comes back upstairs to iron his outfit. He may pack himself a lunch, make a cup of coffee, and may even sit in front of the television with a bowl of cereal.


Me? 



For the life of me I have tried to rise and shine, but I just can't. I have even set the alarm on my tablet to wake me with a motivational message. Good morning, Rachel. It's a new day! Get up, make coffee, exercise! I have prepared a lunch the night before, gone to bed early, set out clothes, pre-set the coffee pot to brew…

Our Kitchen Makeover - Before & After

What I am about to say, I say with great certainty. If you and your spouse can get through a major home renovation project, you can get through just about anything.


Back in early November we set out to create the kitchen of our dreams. I had pinned enough ideas to design ten kitchens combined, all the materials were purchased, the job was quoted and within our budget, and finally all the more important home projects were behind us. This took having to accept that insulating our basement and installing an energy efficient heating system was more important than new cabinets and more counter space - which wasn't particularly easy for me. 


The goal was bigger and brighter. The original kitchen had only one tight corner you could work on, a low hanging microwave and one sink. It consisted of thirty year old hardwood floors that were scuffed and damaged by water among other spills, oak cabinets that aged to an unpleasant shade of yellow, warped laminate counter-top with a dated wood de…